Categories of Housing Disrepair: Your Rights as a Tenant

16th of May 2023

As a tenant, you should make it a priority to know your rights regarding the condition of your home. If your property falls into disrepair, it may mean you are able to take legal action to get the issues resolved. The most common way of doing this is to open a housing disrepair claim.


The first port of call is to check if the disrepair meets certain criteria. There are many eligible types of repair but the most concerning damage is known as a category 1 hazard. 


But what does this mean? Let's take a closer look at the categories of housing disrepair.


There are two categories when assessing housing disrepair:


Category 1 :


These are hazards that pose a serious risk to the health or safety of the occupants of the property.


Examples of category 1 hazards include:



If you or anyone you know is experiencing a category 1 hazard, it is vital that you record and notify your landlord as soon as possible. If you’d like to read more about this, please head to another of our blog posts here. Your landlord is legally required to address these issues within a reasonable amount of time, and if they do not, you may be able to make a housing disrepair claim.


Category 2:


These are hazards that are less serious than category 1 hazards but still pose a risk to the health or safety of the occupants of the property.


Examples of category 2 hazards include:



If you relate to any of these issues listed above, please report them. Everyone has the right to live in a safe, well maintained home. 


We are here to help. If you feel like you may be eligible to make a housing disrepair claim, please contact us at or give us a call on 01743 627206